The fibre will enable you get faster internet access for starters,
but it opens up the door for all sorts of hosted services that can
be delivered from a Data Centre like Teraco in Newlands. As soon
as the ISP packages are available, you should be able to get the
- Telephony services, a phone and calls to anywhere in
the world at much lower prices than Telkom.
- A WiFi router to broadcast your fibre connection
throughout your home.
- An Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) for your fibre
service which can notify you via SMS when the municipal power
goes off and when it comes back on again.
- Service Alerts, not only can you be notified when the
power goes down, but if for some reason your fibre service is
interrupted, you can choose to be notified via SMS when the link
goes down and when it comes up again.
Other options you could see in future:
- Once the local security companies have had a chance to
work with the fibre company, it should be possible to choose a
set of local CCTV cameras to be available via your existing PVR,
so you can check your area when you need to.
- DSTV via fibre, you should be able to keep your
existing contract but throw away the satellite dish. Providers
like DSTV, Top TV, et al, will be able to deliver their signals
to you over the fibre.
- Video on Demand, you will no longer have to
download a video before watching it; you should be able to
stream HD TV programmes and movies to you in real time with no